Many health supplements are available in the market today. However, one supplement that gains so much attention from health and wellness enthusiasts is a peptide-based supplement. If you are going to buy peptides, it is a must to know what peptides are and how they work so you can maximize their health potential.
What are peptides?
Peptides are substances made up of a group of amino acids linked by peptide bonds. They form proteins when they form complex structures (50 or more amino acids). Such substances have specific functions in the body, and some of the essential functions of peptides include the following:
- A specific peptide called vasopressin regulates the amount of water in the spaces around the cells (extracellular fluid). Vasopressin, when present in high amounts, can narrow blood vessels, causing blood pressure to rise.
- Another notable peptide is oxytocin, which is produced by the pituitary gland, a gland found inside the brain. It consists of amino acids, and its main role is to facilitate contraction during childbirth. It is also responsible for stimulating milk ejection reflex after delivery. Don’t you know that oxytocin is also called the “love hormone” because it is released when two people cuddle.
- There’s a particular peptide the boosts the immune system, and it is called defensins. It acts as an antimicrobial that is responsible for hastening would healing.
- Another peptide hormone that regulates a specific function in the body is angiotensin. It regulates blood pressure and facilitates the release of aldosterone, a hormone that promotes the kidneys’ ability to retain sodium.
There are many peptide categories, but they are categorized into three: according to the number of amino acids in a chain, peptide source, and specific functions in the body.
Uses of peptides in the health and wellness industry
- Many health supplements today have peptides as the main ingredient because of the health benefits they offer. Beauty products contain peptides because of their antiaging benefits. Collagen peptides are used in many skincare and antiaging products because of their ability to improve skin hydration and elasticity. Collagens are substances forming the skin, cartilage, and bone. As a person grows older, the level of collagen decreases, causing skin dryness and premature wrinkling. Supplements containing collagen peptides can greatly increase collagen density in the dermis.
- It hastens wound healing. Products containing collagen have the ability to promote wound healing. They are primarily used in cases of burns and cuts, such as burn injury scaffolds and dressing of wounds. What it does is rebuild and restore the natural ability of the skin to self-heal. It catalyzes extracellular matrix production, a network consists of enzymes, collagen, and macromolecules. As a result, the skin becomes healthier and suppler. It also has antimicrobial properties, which is all the more effective in promoting wound healing. If you are someone experiencing disrupted wound healing functions, you can benefit from products containing peptides.
- Peptides are used in various cosmetic products because of their antiaging properties. If you notice, many topical creams, lotions, and ointments have peptides. People with damaged skin, especially those damages caused by prolonged exposure to the sun or skin conditions caused by the ageing process, can greatly benefit from peptide-based products.
The benefits mentioned above are some of the obvious reasons why peptides are increasingly popular today. If you have not tried using peptide-based products, now is the best time to do so. Buying peptides isn’t difficult at all because many online merchants sell them for a reasonable price. However, you have to be wary as not all peptide-based products available in the market are genuine. Some of them are not real peptides, and instead of delivering therapeutic effects, they will end up causing more harm than good. Therefore, you have to conduct thorough research when buying peptide products. Take the time to read through the product label and check the background of the manufacturer. Most of all, do not underestimate the power of reading reviews. By doing so, you will get first-hand information straight from the people who have tried using the product. You will gauge what peptide products to use and what to avoid completely. Always exercise caution when buying peptides, especially when buying from online sources.