Everything To Know About Sleep Apnea
Sleeping disorder can lead to many issues such as blood pressure, heart trouble, and other serious health issues. If not treated early, then it can lead to breathing issues, loud snoring, tiredness during daytime even after sleeping for the whole night.
Sleeping disorders including sleep apnea can be treated with the help of dentists, and you can find the best one in Orion Dental Specialties. They are a team of the best dental specialists in Cypress TX and can offer the best solution to all kinds of sleeping disorders. You can visit their website to learn more about their services.
Types of Sleep Issue
Sleep disorder is of two types.
- Central Sleep Apnea
This is a type of apnea where the brain cells fail to send necessary signals to the muscles to breathe, which results in respiratory control instability. This issue is directly associated with CNS.
- Obstructive sleep apnea
This is a common kind of sleep issue and results in repeated episodes. This condition results in the partial or even the complete blockage of the airway when a person is asleep. To keep the airway open, the chest muscles and diaphragm work double-time, and this condition is also known as an apneic episode.
Who suffers from this issue?
The sleep apneic issue is diagnosed in 10% of women and 25% of men. This condition will affect people belonging to all ages, including children and babies. It is usually diagnosed in people above 50+ years.
Some of the clinical features are noticed in patients, who are suffering from the obstructive sleep apneic issue as per the sleep apnea specialist. The symptoms include overweight, structural abnormalities, large neck, nasal obstruction, enlarged tonsils, and so on.
Some of the diagnosed issues in the case of sleeping disorders include,
- Choking and gasping after sudden awakenings
- Sexual dysfunction
- Fatigue or daytime sleepiness
- Night sweats
- Sore throat or dry mouth mood disturbances
- Cognitive impairment
Symptoms in children include,
- Poor performance academically
- Sleepiness or sluggishness
- Behavioral and learning disorders
- Swallowing difficulty and daytime mouth breathing
- Unusual sleeping positions
The sleep apnea treatment will be decided based on some of the clinical diagnoses of the issue. They are as follows.
- An overnight sleep study or also known as a polysomnogram is tested on patients under the supervision of an expert. Some of the body functions such as the brain’s electrical activity, eye movements, breathing patterns, heart rate, etc., will be supervised in this case.
- HST or also known as the Home Sleep test is suggested for adults in the comfort of their home. Here, the recordings of breathing effort, airflow, blood oxygen levels, etc., will be noticed under home supervision.
Based on the results of this diagnosis, the experts will come up with the best sleep apnea therapy for individual patients. The severity of the condition will not be the same in every patient, and hence the experts will first understand the condition of the patients and will come up with the best solution accordingly.
Sleep disorders are of many kinds. The best way of handling the issue is by consulting the concerned experts as early as possible.